What Happened to Simple American Decency?
The volume of disturbing developments and relevant news about the Trump administration’s immigration and border plans are hard to keep up with. But the common threads connecting many of the developments is one of cruelty, chaos, and dehumanization.
According to Douglas Rivlin, Communications Director of America’s Voice, “We’re in the midst of a full-blown human rights crisis manufactured by the Trump Administration’s cruel, hardline policy choices that continue to produce more and more inhumanity and utter failure at addressing the refugee crisis. Despite their denials, our government’s actions — in all of our names — cannot be viewed through the lens of neutral both sides-ism or attempts at false equivalency. This is no time for complicity or silence. We must call out the Trump administration’s actions for what they are – a clear violation of American values and vision for our nation.”
Below are some of the latest details and news of an administration that is out of control:
- More details of horrifying conditions for children held in U.S. government care: A joint investigative article by the New York Times and the El Paso Times, “Hungry, Scared and Sick: Inside the Migrant Detention Center in Clint, Tex,” adds more horrifying details to the ongoing revelations about detention conditions for children, including the spread of scabies, shingles, and chickenpox and the detail that the “stench of the children’s dirty clothing was so strong it spread to the agents’ own clothing — people in town would scrunch their noses when they left work. The children cried constantly.”
- More examples of disturbing and dehumanizing treatment of migrants by CBP: CNN reports that Border Patrol agents tried to shame a migrant being held at a processing center in Texas by making the migrant hold a sign reading “I like men.” In conjunction with the volume of other reports, the detail is reminiscent of the human rights violations inflicted against prisoners held at the infamous Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
- More evidence that immigrant families are living in fear of mass-deportation raids – a terror purposefully being stoked by the Trump administration: A front-page Sunday Washington Post story, “Fear of immigration raids looms as plans for ICE ‘family operation’ move forward,” highlights that Trump’s promised deportation raids are having the desired effect on immigrant families – stoking fear over potential family separations.
- More willful lies and defending of the indefensible by Acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan and Trump team: On the Sunday political talk shows yesterday, McAleenan continued his pattern of lying by again falsely asserting that detention facilities are being run professionally, that reports of horrible conditions are unsubstantiated, and it’s all the fault of the Democrats. And President Trump called the New York Times report about the Clint facility a “hoax.”
- More reminders that the “Remain in Mexico” policy for asylum seekers is endangering lives: A report from the humanitarian NGO Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders finds that refugees and asylum seekers forced to stay in the Northern Mexico city of Nuevo Laredo due to the “Remain in Mexico” policy “often fall prey to criminal groups in the city and are exposed to violence, including extortion, torture, rape and murder.”
- More reminders that ICE is running amok – accessing driver’s license databases without consent or authorization: per a report in the Washington Post, ICE and FBI are using state driver’s license photos and facial recognition technology without consent or authorization to enable their operations.