There are just two weeks left until Election Day and the Educating Maryland Kids campaign supporting Question 4 and the state DREAM Act is in full gear. We received this update from the campaign, highlighting the upcoming events this week that will rally in favor of the Maryland DREAM Act — and push supporters to Vote FOR Question 4:
A recent Washington Post poll found 59% of voters support the Maryland DREAM Act, with only 35% opposed, and advocates for the law are building on this strong momentum and launching a week of coordinated press events and rallies for Question 4. This week, there will be multiple events in Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties and Baltimore City with diverse leaders joining together to urge voters to vote for Question 4 to uphold the Maryland DREAM Act.
Here’s the full list of this week’s “Vote FOR Question 4″ events:
- Tuesday, 1 p.m., Patterson Park Public Charter School, Baltimore: a press conference with Congressman Cummings, students and diverse advocates
- Tuesday, 7:15 p.m., Southern Asian Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Silver Spring; with IAF action and GOTV mobilization
- Thursday, 11:30 a.m., Prince George’s Community College, Largo; with Prince George’s County for the DREAM press conference with State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks, County Executive Rushern Baker, State Senator Victor Ramirez
- Thursday, 5 p.m., Nyumburu Amphitheatre, University of Maryland, College Park: a student-led rally at the University of Maryland, College Park with Senator Ben Cardin, Delegate Heather Mizeur, Delegate Joseline Peña-Melnyk, Delegate Ana Sol Gutierrez
- Saturday, 11 a.m., Bethel World Outreach Church to Silver Spring Civic Building: Early voting march and rally for the Maryland DREAM Act with hundreds of African supporters and IAF members
Early voting starts on Saturday, October 27th. Governor O’Malley, who has been leading the effort to defend DREAM, tweeted a link to key information about early voting:
We’re just a couple days away from early voting in Maryland. Find your polling location here: bit.ly/axNNcv
— Martin O’Malley (@GovernorOMalley) October 23, 2012
On Saturday, there will be an “early voting march and rally for the Maryland DREAM Act with hundreds of African supporters and IAF members.” The march will proceed from Bethel World Outreach Center (8252 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, MD) to Silver Spring Civic Building (8525 Fenton Street, Silver Spring, MD), which is aan early voting location.
And, there’s a lot more happening, including TV ads and get-out-the-vote operations.
Educating Maryland Kids, a coalition of groups including SEIU, the Maryland State Education Association, the Maryland Catholic Conference, Maryland IAF, and CASA de Maryland, recently announced a million dollar ad buy on TV and radio in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. media markets. Supporters are also canvassing and phone-banking across the state to educate voters about the Maryland DREAM Act, which allows students whose parents paid Maryland taxes and who graduated from Maryland high schools to pay in-state tuition.
If you live in Maryland, VOTE FOR Question 4 — and make sure everyone you know who lives in Maryland is doing the same thing. We only have wo more weeks!