Trump Administration decision late last week to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for 57,000 legal Honduran immigrants is sparking backlash across the country. Akilah Johnson from The Boston Globe and the Catholic News Service write about the shock fueled by the Administration’s nonsensical termination of the program.
Patricia Montes, executive director of Centro Presente, the immigrant advocacy group based in East Boston that organized Monday’s rally at the State House, called the termination of temporary protected status for Honduras an ‘ill-advised and cruel decision.’
She said it was ‘part of a larger strategy to criminalize the more than 300,000 immigrants from Honduras, El Salvador, and Haiti.’
Honduras is the sixth country to lose temporary protected status since President Trump took office, meaning about 300,000 immigrants have been told they must leave the country next year, seek an alternative immigration status, or face deportation.
Catholic News Service writes:
Jeanne Atkinson, executive director of the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, said the Trump administration attempted to paint a picture that it had ‘no choice but to terminate TPS,’ suggesting that past administrations that extended the protected status for Hondurans had not properly applied the law.
’To the contrary, it is the Trump administration’s action that disregards the law and the intent of Congress in creating TPS in the first place to safeguard human lives,’ she said.
Catholic Legal Immigration officials have been urging the Trump administration to grant an 18-month extension of Temporary Protected Status to Hondurans based on the ongoing humanitarian crisis. The group notes that amid efforts to recover from the hurricane and other natural disasters, Honduras has been plagued by a housing deficit of 1.1 million homes, lack of access to safe drinking water that affects 638,000 people and a food shortage that leaves 25 percent of the country’s children under age 5 chronically hungry.