America's Voice En Español »

America's Voice

 

The Latest On Who Has Dumped GOP Presidential Candidate Donald Trump

 

Friday, 7/17:

Trump just got a big-time demotion, this time thanks to the Huffington Post.

Earlier today, the site announced it would be moving all Trump-related coverage from the politics section, to the entertainment section:

Our reason is simple: Trump’s campaign is a sideshow. We won’t take the bait. If you are interested in what The Donald has to say, you’ll find it next to our stories on the Kardashians and The Bachelorette.

Ouch.

Wednesday, 7/15:

Even the FAA has joined the dump Trump train, late last week announcing they would be changing three navigation points — DONLD, TRMMP, and UFIRD — named after the candidate above Palm Beach International Airport.

“The names of the navigation points are entered by pilots when plotting a course from one airport to another,” noted PRI. “Trump’s name and catchphrase were attached to the navigation points in 2010, after a suggestion from an air traffic controller who was a fan. ‘In general, the FAA chooses names that are noncontroversial,’ Laura Brown, an agency spokesperson, told The New York Times.”

A day before the FAA’s announcement, Geoffrey Zakarian became the second chef — following Chef Jose Andres — to sever ties with the Presidential candidate, announcing in a statement he would no longer be opening a branch of his restaurant in Trump’s forthcoming DC hotel:

“More than half of my team is Hispanic,” said Zakarian, citing his own family’s immigrant past. Trump’s views “do not in any way align with my personal core values.”

Tuesday, 7/14:

The ratings are in for Trump’s Miss USA pageant, and in the words of the Donald himself, they were not HUUUUGE.

Last year, the pageant garnered nearly 5.6 million viewers when it aired on NBC. But last night’s broadcast only attracted a mere 925,000 viewers, an all-time pageant low.

In the wake of Trump’s racist remarks, the pageant lost both NBC and Univision, which were scheduled to air the program. A small cable channel, Reelz, agreed to air the program, reportedly at a financial loss for the channel, too.

Trump, former host of “The Apprentice” and the celebrity spin-off, likes to mock his critics about things like low ratings. But we have a feeling he won’t say much about this one.

Thursday, 7/9:

NASCAR, ESPN, the PGA, and Serta (combover shaped mattress?) have become the latest to dump Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump, with the sports groups announcing they would move their upcoming events from Trump-owned venues.

“Our decision reflects our deep feelings for our former colleague and support for inclusion of all sports fans. Diversity and inclusion are core values at ESPN and our decision also supports that commitment,” ESPN said in a statement.

“We looked at everything we saw coming down and what we heard from our sponsors and our partners and what we feel we should be doing, and that’s what led us to the decision today,” said NASCAR spokesperson David Higdon.

The fashion and beauty industries are also distancing themselves from Trump’s bigoted remarks, with clothing manufacturer PVH and Perfumania — which marketed two Trump-inspired fragrances, for anyone who wants to smell like a thrice-married bigot, we guess — dumping the candidate.

The news isn’t much better in the pageant world for Trump, either. Last week Nicaragua joined Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica in withdrawing from the Trump-owned Miss Universe pageant.

But yesterday Trump received perhaps one of his biggest losses yet, when world-renowned Chef Jose Andres announced he would be “backing out of a deal to open the flagship restaurant Donald Trump’s forthcoming Washington hotel” (more on the immigrants who are actually building that hotel here).

From Andres’s statement:

“Donald Trump’s recent statements disparaging immigrants make it impossible for my company and I to move forward with opening a successful Spanish restaurant in Trump International’s upcoming hotel in Washington, D.C. More than half of my team is Hispanic, as are many of our guests.  And, as a proud Spanish immigrant and recently naturalized American citizen myself, I believe that every human being deserves respect, regardless of immigration status.”

Andres, a Spanish immigrant, has been a long-time immigration reform advocate, saying in a 2013 op-ed: “The fellow immigrants I’ve known and worked with over the years, those with legal status and those without, are here for the right reasons. They don’t want to cause any trouble, take any handouts or steal anyone’s job.”

Friday, 7/3:

From TMZ:

“One of the biggest NASCAR sponsors in all of racing is pumping the brakes on Donald Trump — trying to pull a huge awards ceremony from one of Trump’s properties and urging all of NASCAR to cut ties.”

“Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis reached out to NASCAR head Brian France to express his anger over Trump’s comments regarding Mexican immigrants.”

“In his letter to France, Lemonis writes … ‘Last year, our NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Awards Ceremony was held at the Trump National Doral in Miami, and due to recent and ongoing blatantly bigoted and racist comments from Donald Trump in regards to immigrants of the United States, I would like to inform you that I will not, nor will any representative of Camping World, participate or attend in the ceremonial event if it is held at any Trump property.'”

Wednesday, 7/1:

Trump has been hemorrhaging companies in the last 48 hours — where to even start?

As we reported earlier, Macy’s announced today they would be ending their decade-long relationship with Trump. Activists had already collected more than 700,000 signatures asking the retailer to dump the Presidential candidate.

Trump even lost the Menudo vote today, with Ricky Martin announcing he would be moving his charity event away from a Trump-owned golf course.

Additionally, Bogota withdrew its candidacy to host the Trump-owned Miss Universe show after Mexico dropped out of the pageant.

The Miss USA pageant is facing it’s own crisis, too. With stars Flo Rida, Craig Wayne Boyd, and Natalie La Rose announcing they would not be participating due to Trump’s racist comments, the pageant has lost all scheduled performers.

Now with the Miss USA pageant having no hosts, performers, or any network willing to air it, its future seems up in the air.

Tuesday, 6/30:

The political and financial fallout continues for Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump, who overnight lost several more business associations, including a lucrative deal with Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim.

From Reuters:

Ora TV, a production company co-founded by Slim and TV personality Larry King and funded by America Movil, cancelled a program it was working on with some of Trump’s companies, Slim’s spokesman and son-in-law Arturo Elias said.

“His statement was totally out of line…working with someone so closed-minded was not going to work,” Elias said, adding that the comments were racist.

Additionally, Mexican media giant Televisa announced it would not air the Trump-owned Miss Universe pageant, with pageant organizer Lupita Jones confirming Mexico will not send a participant to this year’s event.

“It’s a shame that because of his racist comments, we’ve lost the good the competition has created and represented for so many years, as an atmosphere of harmony and peace among nations,” Jones said in a Spanish-language statement on Facebook.

“Therefore, in agreement with the statement from Televisa, we will not participate in [Miss Universe].”

Jones is a herself a former Miss Universe and Miss Mexico winner.

Televisa, Ora TV, Slim, and Jones join Univision and NBCUniversal in recently ending business ties with Trump, who nearly two weeks ago claimed that immigrants from Mexico are criminals and “rapists.”

The widely-condemned remarks have generated shared outrage and solidarity among Latinos, and have demonstrated the Latino community’s growing political and financial clout in America.

Still, not one single Republican considering or already running for President in 2016 has directly condemned Donald Trump and his anti-Latino remarks.

In fact, earlier this morning, Presidential candidate Ted Cruz defended Trump during a Fox News interview, saying “I like Donald Trump. I think he’s terrific, I think he’s brash, I think he speaks the truth.”

Trump immediately sent the Senator — who represents a 40% Latino state — a thanks over Twitter:

America’s Voice is keeping a running clock of how long it’s been since Trump made his vile comments — and how long the silence from Republican candidates for President has stretched. The clock is available to view here.