Thursday, April 13
3PM EST / 12PM PDT
DIAL IN: 1-800-894-5910; PASSCODE: ‘IMMIGRATION’
PRESS CALL: Domestic Violence Survivors, Prosecutors, and Advocates to Speak Out Against Trump Administration’s Targeting of Victims and Witnesses
Washington, DC — Last week, DHS spokesperson David Lapan defended enforcement actions against immigrants who are victims in courthouses, saying:
“Just because they’re a victim in a certain case does not mean there’s not something in their background that could cause them to be a removable alien. Just because they’re a witness doesn’t mean they might not pose a security threat for other reasons.”
On a press call this Thursday, April 13 at 3pm EST, domestic violence survivors, prosecutors, and advocates will analyze how Trump’s Mass Deportation Force is targeting crime victims and witnesses—including looking for them at courthouses and seeking to deport them when they show up for their regularly scheduled check-ins at ICE.
From a public safety point of view, it makes no sense to go after crime victims and witnesses, and it undermines law enforcement. In Los Angeles, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck reported a dramatic drop-off in domestic violence and sexual abuse reporting by victims, due to the fears of deportation. In Houston, Police Chief Art Acevedo reported that “the number of Hispanics reporting rape is down 42.8 percent from last year, and those reporting violent crimes has registered a 13 percent drop,” according to Houston Chronicle.
More information about the dangers of immigration arrests at state courthouses is available here from ACLU.
- Anabel Barron, domestic violence survivor and U-visa certified immigrant in Ohio, who was recently placed on an ankle monitor and faces deportation
- Grace Huang, Policy Director, Asian Pacific Institute on Gender-Based Violence
- Joanne Lin, Senior Immigration Policy Counsel, ACLU
- Monica McLaughlin, Deputy Director of Public Policy, National Network to End Domestic Violence
- Dan Satterberg, Prosecutor, King County (WA)
- Lynn Tramonte, Deputy Director, America’s Voice Education Fund (Moderator)
WHEN: Thursday, April 13 at 3PM EST / 12PM PDT
DIAL IN: 1-800-894-5910 ; PASSCODE: ‘IMMIGRATION’