TODAY, August 8th
DIAL IN: 877-876-9177
PRESS CALL: The Southern Border Refugee Situation, Explained
Dr. Robert Needlman, Ohio Attorneys, National Experts Unpack Policies, Impacts, & Alternatives to Family Separation
The Women’s Refugee Commission will join Ohio legal and health experts on a conference call with reporters today, at 12:15pm ET to discuss the horrific conditions that are causing Central Americans to flee to the U.S., the consequences of the Trump Administration’s policies toward them, and alternatives that could manage the situation while protecting human rights and American values.
The Administration’s “family separation” policy—and fumbling attempts to comply with court orders mandating the reunification of families—provoked a visceral reaction that has outraged our nation. These experts will answer questions about the specific policies and practices being used, as well as better ways the Administration should address this crisis.
- Maureen DeVito, volunteer attorney with Catholic Charities, who recently visited the federal family detention center in Dilley,
- Brian Hoffman, pro bono coordinator at the International Institute of Akron
- Dr. Robert Needlman, a Cleveland pediatrician and the modern-day author of the Dr. Spock baby books
- Katharina Obser, Senior Policy Advisor, Women’s Refugee Commission
- Lynn Tramonte, Director, America’s Voice Ohio (moderator)
WHEN: TODAY, August 8th at 12:15pm ET
DIAL IN: 877-876-9177; PASSCODE: “REFUGEE”