Washington, DC – The Republican Party is again defining itself by its anti-immigrant, MAGA extremism despite the proven dangers and new polling, which shows the strong majority of Americans want real immigration solutions instead of political stunts.
Look at what’s in the news today – the House GOP will hold a Judiciary Committee hearing that hypes anti-immigrant fears, mainstreams white nationalist conspiracies and ignores real policy solutions in favor of political talking points. In the meantime, their colleagues tee up impeachment against DHS Secretary Mayorkas using the same talking points and dangerous rhetoric. Not to be outdone, nine GOP-controlled states have filed the latest legal challenge seeking to end the DACA program and strip protections from Dreamers, making those with DACA deportable.
Below are resources and reminders of how dangerous and out of touch the Republican anti-immigrant push is to public safety, public opinion and real immigration solutions:
- NBC News: “Large majorities support immigration policies stuck in limbo for a decade,” highlighting new NBC polling that finds 80-18% support for a pathway to citizenship (including 94% of Democrats, 77% of independents and 67% of Republicans) and 75-23% support for border security funding. This dual “citizenship and border” focus has been at the heart of proposed legislative solutions that Republicans have blocked at every opportunity over the past several decades.
- How Upcoming House GOP Hearings Will Mainstream Dangerous Conspiracies,” a new op-ed from AV Executive Director Vanessa Cárdenas (in English and Spanish), running on Univision.com, La Opinión, and other outlets.
- Press call recap and link to audio recording: “Experts Detail How House GOP Immigration and Border Hearings to Provide Platform for Dangerous Extremism,” highlighting yesterday’s call with Rep. Greg Casar (D-TX) and experts who track right-wing violence, extremism, and conspiracy theories to preview upcoming House Republican hearings on immigration and border.
- America’s Voice new blog: “Debunking the GOP’s Fentanyl Narrative”
- America’s Voice Memo: “Four Points to Keep in Mind as Republicans Tee Up Anti-Immigrant Hearings and Attacks”
- Read the America’s Voice detailed list of Republican House Judiciary Committee Members amplifying white nationalist conspiracy theories
- America’s Voice Backgrounder: “GOP Threatens Public Safety with Push for DHS Secretary Impeachment Based on White Nationalist Conspiracy Theories”