For Planning Purposes: October 15, 2018
Contact: Diana Martinez, (816) 209-4522, email@example.com
Wednesday, October 17th
11:00 am CST
Second Baptist Church-Olathe
331 N Kansas Ave, Olathe, KS 66061
and live streamed at https://www.facebook.com/
PRESS CONFERENCE: Interfaith Leaders Release Open Letter to Commitment to Solidarity with Our Immigrant Neighbors
Olathe, KS – Faith and community leaders who signed the open letter will convene a press conference on Wednesday, October 17 at 11:00 AM at Second Baptist Church-Olathe. Dismayed by the vilification of immigrants in our community, over 50 faith and community leaders signed an open letter that seeks to address the unwarranted accusatory finger pointing and remind Kansans that our various faith traditions also call on us to welcome our new neighbors and those who are not new but remain in the shadows. The letter asks Kansas to stand, advocate, and pray with the signers to find the strength to welcome all members of our community no matter when they arrived; to have the courage to call for compassionate immigration reform; and to have the wisdom to lead without blaming the other.
Participants will call on all faith and community leaders in Kansas to engage to help heal the division. They will send the letter to every elected member of the Kansas Legislator and candidates seeking office this November.
Participants will conclude the press conference by taking questions.
- Rev. Dr. Bobby L. Love Sr., Second Baptist Church of Olathe
- Sister Therese Bangert, Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth
- Moussa Elbayoumy, Chairman of Kansas Chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations
- Rabbi Moti Rieber, Executive Director Kansas Interfaith Action
- Rev. Rick Behrens, Grandview Park Presbyterian Church
- Rev. Laura Phillips, Overland Park Christian Church
- WHEN: Wednesday, October 17 , at 11:00am CST
- WHERE: Second Baptist Church-Olathe 331 N Kansas Ave, Olathe, KS 66061 and live streamed at https://www.facebook.com/