OUR PLAN FOR COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM
America’s Voice stands with the strong majority of Americans support real comprehensive immigration reform. We are joined by leaders from law enforcement, local government, business, labor, civil rights, and faith communities who agree that Congress should restore the integrity of the nation’s immigration system.
Opponents of reform offer no practical ideas beyond building a border fence and walling off the U.S. They have consistently misinformed the public with dishonest accusation and offered no practical solutions. Americans don’t want endless debate, they want action.
We believe sensible immigration reform legislation should combine the following elements to secure the border and reduce illegal immigration:
- A program that requires those here illegally to get on the right side of the law by passing background checks, studying English, paying taxes, and working towards full U.S. citizenship.
- Reunification of families separated by outdated immigration laws.
- A commission to regulate the future flow of employment-based immigration so that workers’ rights are protected and honest businesses can compete.
- A crackdown on unscrupulous employers who hire undocumented workers and break labor laws to undermine their law-abiding competitors.
- Smart and professional border enforcement, conducted in consultation with border communities
- Reform of current immigration enforcement practices, including the right to fair proceedings, humane treatment of immigration detainees, and respect for community policing.
- Reduction of migration pressures in “sending countries” over time.