About America’s Voice
The mission of America’s Voice (AV) and America’s Voice Education Fund (AVEF) is to harness the power of American voices and American values to enact policy change that guarantees full labor, civil and political rights for immigrants and their families. We work in partnership with progressive, faith-based, labor, civil rights, and grassroots groups, networks, and leaders to advance policies and legislation that stabilize the lives of 11 million Americans in waiting and put them on the road to full citizenship.
The communications director will be responsible for leading messaging and communications-related activities that advance a long-term pro-immigrant media narrative. This person will collaborate with staff, consultants, and partners in the progressive movement to drive the narrative on immigration, execute daily rapid response, engage with the press on a daily basis, organize press-related activities, and elevate the voices of immigrants, experts, and other colleagues. The Communications Director will work under the supervision of the Senior Communications Director.
Buckets of Responsibilities:
➔ Lead and coordinate AV’s rapid response work:
- Ensure that our rapid response communication is strategic, timely, and reflects AV’s voice.
- Monitor press coverage on immigration and related issues to inform AV’s rapid response
- Manage day-to-day activities to implement a fast and accurate response
- Draft and review press releases, statements, and other press-related materials
- Organize press-facing events and activities in person and remotely
➔ Develop, cultivate, and maintain relationships with reporters, such that AV remains the go-to source for the nation’s top immigration and political reporters
- Set up regular one-on-one meetings with reporters
- Provide background and on-the-record comments to reporters
- Prep AV spokespeople for interviews.
- Other activities that will foster and deepen relationships
- Strengthen the communications capacity of the pro-immigrant movement
- Draft messaging guidance, talking points, tough Q/A, and other materials for colleagues and partners as needed
- Work in collaboration with other AV staff to implement trainings, webinars, and other opportunities to improve communication skills for partner organizations.
- Actively participate in coalitions in the immigration and progressive movement to share messaging guidance
- Work collaboratively with other directors and leadership to ensure a strategic communications lens is applied across projects and initiatives in the organization
- Represent AV/AVEF to key external constituencies (including both formal and informal meetings, presentations, and conferences, etc.)
Other duties as assigned
- Significant experience in communications, public relations, or related roles, with at least 5 – 7 years of experience in a nonprofit, advocacy organization, or a related field.
- Strategic thinking and planning skills, including the ability to develop and implement comprehensive communications strategies that align with the organization’s goals.
- Proficiency in building and maintaining relationships with members of the media, and a track record of successfully securing media coverage for the organization.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with the ability to create compelling and persuasive content for a variety of audiences, including press releases, op-eds, pitch memos, and website content.
- A history of successful engagement with community partners, stakeholders, and diverse audiences, both online and offline.
- An understanding of the political landscape and the ability to navigate and collaborate with government agencies, elected officials, and other stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively remotely while engaging a range of stakeholders.
- Spanish fluency is a major plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
America’s Voice offers a competitive salary band of $95,000 – $110,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. America’s Voice offers comprehensive benefits including fully covered premiums for yourself and your dependents for medical insurance,
Short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance for you, and a 401k plan with generous employer match.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates, please submit your cover letter and resume using the subject line Communications Director to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will be held open till an
America’s Voice is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce is critical to our success. We welcome all individuals from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to join us in advancing our mission.
At America’s Voice, we ensure that every employee is treated with respect and fairness, We are dedicated to fostering a workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and bias. Our commitment to equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and development.
We encourage candidates of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for our open positions. Together, we can harness the power of diversity to drive innovation and make a positive impact on immigration and beyond.
If you require accommodations during the application or interview process due to a disability or other special circumstances, please let us know, and we will work to accommodate your needs.