Today, America’s Voice Education Fund and fellow immigration experts held the eighth in a series of weekly press briefings, or Immigration Reform “Office Hours.” Each week, a different and diverse group of speakers shares the latest information on the players, politics, legislation and other developments in the debate in Washington and around the nation.
Moderated by Lynn Tramonte, Deputy Director at America’s Voice Education Fund, today’s call featured Mary Giovagnoli, Director, Immigration Policy Center; David Leopold, Executive Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association; and a Senate Democratic aide involved in the bill drafting.
During the call speakers answered questions about the details included in the 844-page bill and its many components. Following is a list of resources for S. 744.
Bill Language and Summaries:
- Full Text of Bill (Sen. Schumer’s website)
- Section by Section Summary of Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 (Talking Points Memo)
- Shorter Summary of Bill (DPCC)
- Bill Overview and Other Resources (Sen. Menendez’ website)
- Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 (S.744) (National Immigration Law Center)
- Top 10 Ways the Senate’s Immigration Reform Bill Will Fix Our Broken System (Center for American Progress)
- Lawrence Downes’ Bill Analysis (New York Times)
- Side by Side Comparison of 2013 Senate Immigration Framework with 2006 and 2007 Senate Legislation (Migration Policy Institute)
- Top Ten Questions and Answers About the Senate Immigration Bill (Alliance for Citizenship)
- Infographic – How Legalization and Citizenship Helps the Economy (Center for American Progress)
Myths vs. Facts – (Sen. Rubio’s Website)
- Simply Wrong to Report Illegal Immigrants Would Be Granted Immediate Status
- Incorrect to Say This Bill is Amnesty
- Proof of Residency Requirements
- Resumen del Proyecto De Ley Para La Seguridad Fronteriza, Oportunidades Económicas Y Modernización Migratoria Del 2013 (DPCC)
- Respuestas a preguntas más comunes sobre proyecto bipartidista del Grupo de los Ocho del Senado, “Ley de 2013 de Seguridad Fronteriza, Oportunidad Económica y Modernización del Sistema Migratorio” (America’s Voice Education Fund)
- Resumen y Q&A
For a recording of today’s call, click here.
For recordings and resources from prior Office Hours calls, click here.