America’s Voice is seeking a highly motivated and driven immigration attorney to lead the organization’s work within the movement to defend individuals facing deportation on a case-by-case basis, and to channel this casework into media, policy, advocacy and organizing strategies.
Applicants should be passionate about immigration reform and demonstrate a strong knowledge of immigration laws and removal proceedings. Applicants should have an understanding of advocacy communications and the politics of immigration in the United States.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. This is a temporary employment contract. The position may require travel some travel.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Identify and recommend deportation cases for possible AVEF support, working with an individual’s immigration attorney. Conduct and/or oversee the process of intake and screening.
- Develop and direct execution of an advocacy strategy and communications plan (if utilized) for deportation cases.
- Coordinate and collaborate with staff and allies on our learnings and experiences from each case.
- Prepare members of Congress and other high-profile spokespeople to speak out on behalf of individuals and families.
- Coordinate with attorneys and local “on-the-ground” organizations to provide individuals and families with support and resources.
- Immigration attorney with strong knowledge of US immigration law and practice, and 7 or more years experience working in private practice (including removal defense), on Capitol Hill, and/or within the Administration
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Excellent writing, critical thinking, and oral skills; broad knowledge of the news media, politics, policy, and government and a passion for immigrants’ rights
- Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills
- Be comfortable working in a political environment
- Have a positive outlook and good sense of humor